- Involve students in the selection of reading materials. Allowing them to choose books that interest them will help them to stay engaged with the material. Stay up-to-date with what books are trending on #BookTok and present the best options to your class.
- Incorporate activities into their reading. For example:
- Ask students to create a fake TikTok or social media account for their favorite character (you could do this without actually requiring them to start an account)
- Assign them in small groups to create a podcast episode reviewing and discussing the book
- Create a Spotify playlist that represents a character's perspective
- Create a classroom library that they can borrow from. This gives those who might not think to walk into their school or local library easy access to new reading material.
- Use technology to engage students. Incorporate digital books, audiobooks, and interactive games into the reading curriculum.
- Get them involved in writing - writing their own stories! Collaborating with other writers can be a great way to engage students in reading.
Got any other ideas that have worked for you and your students?
Join the TCOM community on Instagram and TikTok, we’d love to hear from you!